The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

491 posts Page 28 of 33
Previous 1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33 Next
I need to get some kind of tracker. Something to keep me accountable during those busy times when I don't make it to the gym.
I've just got a Fitbit (basic one) and love it. I log food and swimming on MFP and it syncs across. It's keeping me focused!
Three in a row. I did weights again yesterday. It might be a good time for a day off. I was so sore last night it was hard to sleep
I am horrified to report that I started May 2016 at 198 lbs and I am only 5'2" female. So, yeah - it's been fun-filled decade of eating out and drinking too much and weight crept up. :cry: So - time to stop the madness and get down to business lest I become the neighborhood lady the firemen have to carry out.
-5:2 has been an excellent way of eating for me and my lifestyle. I started 5:2 in May. I was losing .5-1.0 pounds/week for 4 weeks and once I got that system down I introduced road biking. In June I started biking ~60 miles/week and I am now at a steady 2+ pounds/week. I am happy to report that I am currently #177 and feeling great! :clap: I am making my goals #10 at a time, but I hope to see the 130s before I slow down and figure out what maintenance looks like.
- The beginning of biking was a lot of experimentation on the timing of fasts and rides. What works for me = For longer rides (20-25 miles), I have have 1 full feed day, plus a good breakfast and then an afternoon protein shake before I tackle it.
My eating/riding schedule is
Saturday - feed and ride 6-10
Sunday - feed and ride 20-25 late afternoon
Monday - Fast and ride 6-10
Tuesday - feed and ride 6-10
Wednesday - Feed and ride 20-25 late afternoon
Thursday - Fast and ride 6-10
Friday - feed and ride 6-10

A few times I have tried to do a 20 mile the day after a fast day -- really bad idea for me. The wall I hit at around 15 miles was scary.

Does anyone else cycle? How do you work the 5:2 and cycling?
Welcome to the group and congrats on your impressive loss to date!

Hitting the wall is what happens when the body runs out of energy, typically muscle glycogen which is physiologically limited to around 2,000 calories. Running out of energy at any time, snacking between meals, and being unable to easily skip one or two meals without hunger are indications of being unnecessarily dependent on carbohydrates as a primary energy source.

The calorie restriction of intermittent fasting - averaging anywhere from 21% for 5:2 all the way to 40% for BSD each week - is what drives weight loss. The value of exercise during this time is that it prevents the loss of lean mass - muscle. Some of the strongest and fastest people I know started heavy and used exercise to keep their power base as they lost the weight. Because the typical body has 100's of thousands of calories of fat available it makes sense to retrain the body to preferentially burn fat while saving those limited and problematic carbs for a finish line sprint.

From experience and a variety of sources it typically takes 2-4 weeks for one's body to become fat-adapted so that you again feel as strong as before. After that, just fill the water bottles and go.
@nightowlrn, well done so far! Sounds like you're doing great. I think exercising with fasting probably gets the most questions around these parts. It might be worth searching around for some old threads on the topic. Though, basically, I think @ADFnFuel is right: you'll get used to it before long. Having said that, when I was regularly doing half marathon training, I avoided long runs on fast days. It was easy enough to do and still get my fasts in...

I'm off to the gym for some running on the treadmill. I had a much needed day off yesterday, but I need to get back to it before the bad habits come back.
Thanks. I have searched the net for others who cycle and 5:2. Granted my sample is 1, but I believe my riding is doing more than just preventing muscle loss. I woke up to 175.6 this morning.
===Of note - my rides are not leisurely around the park. We have a perfect area for what is basically HIIT. It is not a flat area. When I started, I had to push the bike up a few hills. I have been riding them all the way up for a few weeks now. :cool:

MaryAnn - I hope you made it to the gym. Those machines just don't do it for me. I am basically lazy and get off the machine as soon as it gets tough. But, on the bike, I ride farther out and I have to get myself home! We have an elliptical my husband uses daily. I just can't keep it up once I get up a sweat and start breathing hard. But, on the bike, I huff and puff and sweat like nobody's business.
With excersise it's important to find something that you enjoy as well as works for you,bike riding is not for me,I used to run but that's out now as well,I do physical work,so I get some walking in and some weights.
NewGirl - how do you do weights? What sorts of weights? At home, the gym...? I like walking too, but I can't get myself to walk so fast that I work up a sweat. I have never been able to run much, even in my youth.

That said - I believe what is great about 5:2 is that strenuous exercise isn't necessary and neither is constant deprivation or cutting out entire food groups to lose weight and to maintain once reaching the target weight. When the weather turns, I won't be biking as much but I will still be at 5:2 to continue the journey toward my goal. I can't imagine a better method for me to get to and stay at the place I need to be.
Well I did three miles first thing this morning, so I'd have the bulk of my steps out of the way. I'm at 7767 and it's only 1:30, so I'm sure I'll get to 10K before bed :-)
Wow. Tracie. That is great! I wear a fitbit and rarely get over 5K/day. One of my new practices is to park far away from where I need to go. That seems to help. I rode 6 miles this morning and plan to ride 6 again this evening.
ETA - rode 7 miles tonight. I literally kicked a$$. My husband, who usually just logs along as I peddle my heart out, noticed. I am thinking these 2 a days are the key for me right now.
Also, I meant to add about the fitbit and walking. I mostly telework, but I have an office and some staff. My building is at the bottom of a hill. At least once a week, I walk the hill two times in a day. I love seeing the fitbit results! It seems to be accurate.
Hi nightowirn,I have some hand weights or what they call free weights that I use at home,walking is good,you don't have to build up a sweat to get results as long as you get your heart rate up. But if you enjoy riding you should continue. All the best
I got a weight lifting session in yesterday before the gym closes for a week. I'm going to try running in the mornings before work every other day for a week and see how it goes. Plantar fasciitis hasn't been too bad lately. Hopefully it stays that way!
hello exercisers :)
I ran 3 miles today by jogging to the next town & coming back along the clifftop. took me 33 minutes which I was very happy with.
I have a fitbit surge with the heart rate monitor on & absolutely love it. today, so far I have logged in 13000 steps & will aim for another 1000 before bed, which will be very soon as I have to be up for work at 2.45am.
not sure how many calories I have had today but I am watching my carb intake & aiming for around 50 carbs a day maximum.
nite all. shelley xx
Previous 1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33 Next
491 posts Page 28 of 33