The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

491 posts Page 6 of 33
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 33 Next
Woah! Great thread! I must read through it to get ideas - I want to focus on my fitness a lot more than my eating this year.

Walking is my normal routine - I was lucky in that I just had a leadership retreat that took us all off to the Sunshine Coast for two days...in a resort right by the beach. So, over the last two days it was two brisk walks in the soft sand followed by a swim in the surf. Hopefully the activity helped to offset the hours spent sitting working on strategic plans...and buffet meals with copious red wine... :lipcurl: :giggle:
The snow has all gone but the wind came back with a vengeance. Plodded the Village Round this morning (and was passed by 4 women jogging, and 2 dogs). OH wanted to go into town;we drifted around a few stores, but that left me about 4,000 steps short when I got home so, mid-afternoon, I did the Village Round again, the wind was even worse, and there was sleet. OH had got the wood-burner going while I was out, though.
20 minutes on my elliptical trainer at minimum resistance. Not the most strenuous but I'm just starting out so trying to build the habit without overdoing it early on then giving up altogether like I normally do with exercise routines! I used to walk 15 minutes each way to/from work every day until last May when I moved house further from work and am really feeling the lack of movement now I drive or bus every day instead. I'm really hoping I can stick at this then build in some other activity - nothing's stuck yet exercise-wise with me so just got to keep motivated!
A brisk 13 mile run in 2 hours (marathon training). It was cold, wet and windy and so we wanted to get the run done asap!
I went for a walk with an old friend, she's a slow walker and we had a slightly wet 3 mile stroll.
I was tied to the house waiting for a log delivery this morning so as it only takes 20 minutes, I settled for doing the Village Round. If the logs turned up, by the time they were dropped off and paid for, I would be back to help OH move and stack them. They had still not arrived when I got back, so I did another circuit. Still no sign, so I had a coffee break and walked round again. Got back just in time.
A 4.5 mile walk this morning. The weather was quite decent by current standards, and I was beginning to wish I had opted for jogging it, until I got to a junction where there is often a giant puddle after days of rain. It was enormous, stretched right across the road and went on for over 10 yards. No way I could have got across in trainers without soggy feet, so caution vindicated.

Later on cajoled OH into the Village Round. Country walks are not really his thing, especially in winter. He was very game, particularly after a heavy snow shower came on half way round.
None - unless standing over a stove making three-fruit marrmalade counts! I have now remembered why I usually purchase those tines with the fruit already prepared! I would have liked to have gone out but not possible today. :frown:
3-fruit marmalade sounds like good exercise to me! I'm only half way through my day but have done a 3 mile walk so far.
Snow lay everywhere this morning, but crunched nicely and was safe to walk on. Firstly did the Village Round with OH, who didn't mind when it started snowing, then I walked out to Long Meg stone circle and back which I thought was my lot for the day, but then my Sunday walking partner drove over and we made a circuit out of walking to the Watermill for coffee. So without doing anything particularly noteworthy, I clocked up over 20,000 today.
Just got back from a 2.4 mile walk. No wind but there was still frost on the ground where the sun hadn't reached it. Filled the bird feeders, then in for a very welcome cup of tea! You put me to shame, @Barbarita, with all those steps! :smile:

I had to have toast for breakfast this morning, @rawkaren, just to try the marmalade. It wasn't bad, although I say so myself! I can't remember the last time I had toast and marmalade - good job I wasn't fasting today! I haven't had anything else since then, so I guess that carbs don't have the same effect of making me hungry sooner, as they do on some people. Lucky me! :grin:
I still have to do some exercise today but it is still morning here. @stowgateresident. Nothing beats home made marmalade on toast.
I had sprouted wheat bread yesterday toasted and had some Dalfour jam on it - the one with no added sugar. I was surprised therefore to see this morning that I had dropped half a pound overnight - so I do hope you enjoyed yours!
This week I've been swimming on Monday evening with OH (he is trying to lose weight and getting very despondent), yoga on Tuesday, 5k run on Saturday and 5k run on Sunday. I do this every week but am trying to do another run on Thursdays and every other week my Sunday run is 10k rather than 5k. Going to try my first proper fast for a few weeks tomorrow.
Wow, @Loulou51, you're packing in the exercise. I think that I shall have to stop writing about my measly two mile walks! Congratulations on your exercise regime and good luck with today's fast. I'm joining you today. I should have been at Pilates but instead I am attending the funeral of one our WI members. I'm afraid that our members are all older than me, so it is likely to happen more and more frequently.

@rawkaren, I certainly did enjoy my toast and marmalade - hugely! We make our own bread using wheat, which we get free from the farmers amongst whom we live and which we mill ourselves, plus organic white flour which is milled about ten miles away. I wonder how you make 'no added sugar' jam? I'll have to look on the internet - I'm sure that there will be information out there somewhere.

Have a good day everyone and if you're fasting - stay strong and keep on keeping on! :smile:
Just Carlisle again. A fill-up at Tescos, an Aldi shop, a circuit of Bitts Park, picking up a few things in the market, a quick tea break - 10,000 steps collected in 2 hours 45 minutes.
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 33 Next
491 posts Page 6 of 33