Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

174 posts Page 7 of 12
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12 Next
Re: Fitbit February Camp Site
17 Feb 2014, 07:48
@Winsome I feel your frustration regarding the ironing
17 Feb 2014, 08:25
@Winsome Good to see you here, especially as you are another runner!
17 Feb 2014, 09:28
I went for a run! it wasn't pretty, and it wasn't fast but I did it, 5km. :smile:
17 Feb 2014, 09:45
SianS wrote: I went for a run! it wasn't pretty, and it wasn't fast but I did it, 5km. :smile:

Hilarious @SianS
At least you run outside, I've still not graduated to being seen by the general public.
:heart:
17 Feb 2014, 10:34
Oh wow, jet lag is really messing up my getting back on track! I am awake half the night, then sleeping in til 8/9/10 instead of getting up at my usual 5/6am and going for a decent walk. It's too hot for my dog to enjoy a walk by the time I get up (and I'm too groggy to really care) so I'm down to one walk in the evening. Only just hitting my daily target of 12,000 steps most days. Still, better than when I was away, and hopefully my body clock gets a grip soon and I'll be back to normal,
17 Feb 2014, 10:53
Thanks for the warm welcome folks :heart:

@SianS you did make me laugh!

@Carieoates running outside is sooo much better than a treadmill. I'm a reformed gym bunny and couldn't go back.

The best thing about running outside is that you can soon escape the embarrassment that comes from other, much fitter people appearing near your hot, sweating, and in my case, flat footed mess. Either change direction, or they overtake you, or smile as they pass in the opposite direction. Oodles better than having Mr or Mrs superbod cruising along on the next treadmill :oops:
17 Feb 2014, 14:29
@Winsome my treadmill is in my garage. A clever idea my hubs had several years ago was to buy a treadmill and mini gym. I'm the first person to regularly use the treadmill
But when I get go 5k I will venture outside
17 Feb 2014, 14:33
@carieoates if you did venture outside there would be mud and I seem to remember you like mud!
17 Feb 2014, 14:56
Yes, yes, yes, @SianSI've booked up for the next insane terrain Sunday 27th April. There will be photos , :shock:
17 Feb 2014, 20:26
Looking forward to seeing pics again carieoates.

Well, it looks like I will be reducing my steps big time for a while and I'm all in a tizz. I've had hip and knee pain for a while and decided to get it checked out today and found out I have osteoarthritis in my knees and a dodgy hip to boot :(

Im so shocked. I don't know what to do about it in terms of exercise and jogging and hiit and even stair climbing. The doc said I was at the early stages, so no going back but also I can help prevent it getting any worse. I don't want to do any exercise to make it worse. So far, I'm thinking cutting out the jogging and the stair climbing and doing any hiit on the bike or elliptical. Any ideas greatly welcome please :)

I was prescribed anti inflammatories and painkillers and given some muscle strengthening exercises to do. I have to go back in two weeks and if my hip isn't better, have a steroid injection.

All this and I thought I was the fittest and healthiest I've ever been in my life! I feel a bit weepy to be honest and am probably making a mountain out of a molehill but could do with some cheering up. At least the doc didn't say I was overweight which I know he would have been saying this time last year.
17 Feb 2014, 20:59
I'm so sorry @Umleila you are not being silly, I'd be just the same. We exercise to be fit, then we exercise because we enjoy it. I'm thinking that swimming, Pilates and yoga may help you. Have the steroid as it will ease your pain. I had to have one in my heel a few years back due to plantar fasciitis. It crippled, and depressed me. Now I change my trainers every 4-6 months to keep my feet healthy. Face this head on, read up about diet and oesteoarthritis. Get armed and use it.
17 Feb 2014, 21:03
Bummer, @Umleila! I know I have osteo in my hands and feet, have for some time, but no pain really. Sometimes my big toes ache, but I keep going (not that my level is all that high!). Maybe you need to get the pain taken care of, then gradually add some walking back in. Talk to your doctor or a physical therapist about what you can do. It seems to me we all develop osteo, as it is a natural wear and tear kind of problem as opposed to rheumatoid which is inflammatory, joint damaging. But it affects people different ways, and each of us has to find a way to manage it. And, like carieoates says, read up on it. Knowledge is power!

Take it easy, I'll be thinking of you!
17 Feb 2014, 21:36
Umleila, that sucks :frown:

I echo everything Carieoates said, an offer a big cyber ((((HUG)))).
17 Feb 2014, 22:44
Umleila, that's horrible news. My hubby has oesteoarthritis in his knees and has been told cycling and swimming the best exercise. Neither put pressure on his knees, the cycling will help build the right muscles to give his knees maximum support, and swimming is the best non-jarring exercise anyone can do.
18 Feb 2014, 04:06
Sorry to hear that Umleila. That is why I'm a walker. After pounding sand for 24 years in the Army...lots of it in combat boots, my joints are shot. They want to replace both knees but I'm holding out as long as possible. Daily walks actually keep the pain and stiffness at bay better than meds. I avoid stairs as much as possible. The glucosamine/condroitin supplement (with MSM) actually makes a big difference in how my knees feel.

You can be fit as a walker...just takes longer:)
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12 Next
174 posts Page 7 of 12