The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

334 posts Page 18 of 23
Previous 1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23 Next
Re: Really Short People Tent
09 Feb 2014, 14:06
Debs wrote: Ok, All you new shorties out there. An invitation to join the Really Short People Tent!! :grin:

We know we all have our special problems, cupboards built too high, trying to climb in and out of Hiluxes, that sort of thing :lol: . But there may be other issues, for me, trying to shed those last few kgs, which may be to do with height, shape, age etc.
So come and share if you are under 5'3", or 1.524cm in newfangled metric thingies!

I have a stepping stool in my kitchen so I can reach the high cupboards in my own kitchen. Not good! I also get frustrated reaching high shelves in supermarkets. The worst thing though is finding clothes with the right proportions, especially shoulders that are too long and waistbands that are completely out :roll:

I struggle to keep portion sizes small enough for my needs, I'm 4' 10" and I could eat almost as much as my 6' OH sometimes, my TDEE is tiny!!
09 Feb 2014, 20:36
Welcome, @JennyH10! I was the shortest shortie in the tent since the beginning, and now you and I are tied for the honor. :smile: I use my step stool too, but for the highest cupboards that isn't sufficient, and I wait till I can borrow a tall person (that is, anyone else who happens to walk into the kitchen). What annoys me are those shelves in the supermarket that I know even 5'6" people can't reach, but do the store managers care? Not a whit.

Welcome, @Lizbean and @prunella, too!
09 Feb 2014, 23:57
Hello JennyH, that is an impressive height, or lack of! My solution? Build a house with no cupboards! My OH is 6'3" so he is handy to have around but when we renovated our kitchen I remove all the cupboards in favour of lots of drawers!
09 Feb 2014, 23:59
Interesting, @Debs. Can you post a picture please of your cupboard-less kitchen?
10 Feb 2014, 11:45
Good idea Debs! We actually got our new kitchen fitted three years ago but it's quite small so we need the high storage space unforunately. My stool still isn't high enough for me to reach the back of the top shelves or the very tops of the cupboads. I have been known to climb up onto the worktops LOL!!
14 Feb 2014, 00:03
I posted this in sassy seniors, but realized that it is just as appropriate here. So if you missed it over there...

I live in a place known for active, athletic people. But this beats all...

I go to Zumba at the nearby rec center, and the class before it (a toning class of some sort) is led by a woman who is about 4'10" (like me), about 90 pounds (or 5-10 less than me), and, well, not young. She generally stays for the first half of Zumba as a participant.

Yesterday I got around to telling her she's my new hero. She then told me she's been teaching exercise classes of all sorts for over 50 years. She also told me that she was on the women's varsity basketball team at her college in 1954 - 58. Firstly, women's sports were not exactly a big thing in the US in the 50's (or 60's or 70's for that matter). And secondly - basketball as an under 5 footer?? She explained that she was really fast.

Still not sure how this makes me feel. So far just awe-struck.
14 Feb 2014, 00:11
I guess the saying is true..." Good things in small parcels"...x
14 Feb 2014, 06:34
image.jpg

Kitchen 1
Here we go @wendydarling, one cupboard less kitchen!! It is all made from timber found on our property. The island bench is 2m long and 1.5m wide with bars tools made from old wine barrels, very us!! There is a walk in pantry but I kept all the essentials on the lower shelves!

Kitchen 2
Again, very few cupboards in favour of pull out drawers.
Sorry, a bit of a mess!!
image.jpg

I should also add that the first house has a vaulted ceiling up two stories so I had to buy my tall hubby a backpac Hoover so he could reach to clean the cobwebs :lol:
14 Feb 2014, 06:55
Beautiful homes!! Thanks, @Debs.
I have a small kitchen, but we remodeled and added a lot of storage, so much so that I can pretty much keep the essentials in the lower cabinets and drawers - when we need a dozen wine glasses there's always someone tall enough to get them out!
Wendyjane
25 Feb 2014, 22:54
Oh NO! Our tent is deserted! Everyone appears to be camping elsewhere and the animals are moving in, which I guess is ok.

Ruff, meow, squeak, neigh, burp
25 Feb 2014, 23:06
No, I am here, prowling around and catching up on what has been happening overnight. That in itself takes a couple of hours!!!
26 Feb 2014, 00:02
Loving the teacosy @Debs
26 Feb 2014, 00:12
Ha, you have no idea how hard it was to find one big enough for our ginormous teapot!!! We have a lovely, large brown Derbyshire pot that makes the best tea!
26 Feb 2014, 00:13
Just noticed how messy I am, not a housefrau I'm afraid!!
26 Feb 2014, 00:16
... as @Ballerina would say, 'I blame his mother' :wink:
Previous 1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23 Next
334 posts Page 18 of 23