The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

193 posts Page 5 of 13
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13 Next
@Scotty Thank you for asking. Yes I did have that operation done. It will have been 11 weeks tomorrow since I had it done. I was in and out within 36 hours with immediate relief from the nerve problems the crushed spinal cord was causing. The pain and weakness from the bone graft site (chiselled from the top of the pelvis) was a different matter. I still have weakness in the hip area, but I would rather that than constant pain I had been in for 2 years prior to the op. I have only just managed to wean myself off all the drugs I had been on for the 2 years and finally feel clear headed as well. So all is good.

The main reason for starting again was that the brain fog, the tablets that caused weight gain and the stress just knocked me off the wagon prior to the operation and I only just feel that fasting again is an option. I needed the extra calories to help with the healing.
OMG Julie ,im amazed that its been 11 weeks since your surgery. You are such a trooper! Where's does the time go? You are doing so well and I'm so happy for you because i know you were struggling before.
Xxx julianna
Really pleased your operation went well @Julieathome. :smile:
My bone graft was chiselled from exactly the same site & I also couldn't believe how sore it was post op. I would have hoped things would have improved after 18 years but maybe not - it's probably still the best way & site to take bone from - if they could just warn you how sore & weak that hip will be. I've still got a little notch on my iliac crest where they took the bone from :smile:

It's great that you got immediate relief & I'm impressed that you've managed to come off your painkillers already :victory: but remember to be good to yourself :heart: as it's still early days.

My op 18 years ago was successful as it stopped me being paralysed but unfortunately there was damage to my nervous system & that, with my underlying Congenital Hypermobility Syndrome causing problems with my coccyx + pelvis, has left me with persistent pain ever since.
I'm still on medication but I've found fasting has really helped with my overall health,mood & the weight gain that painkillers give you.
My surgeon told me that where they chisel the bone from is basically fractured as they have to whack it so hard. Which is why its so painful afterwards. I was the same with the paralysis prognosis. It scared me enough to stick with the fasting. And now I know it works I will stick with it for the rest of my life, barring needful blips where you shouldn't fast.
Julieathome I'm so sorry to hear about your recent health difficulties.
You must be one strong lady.
I truly hope that you get better and stronger each day.
It's interesting listening to you report on how you feel fasting has contributed to your healing. Thanks for letting us know :heart:
Hi all checking in with the second time rounders. Julieathome you have had a lot on your plate! Sometimes circumstances mean you cannot fast but it is good to know that this woe has worked for us and can again.
I resumed a few weeks ago. Just measured my waist which is wider than my start point in Feb 13..... oh dear. I think I am going to just do measuring this time not weighing because the inches had a steady line downwards but the weight fluctuations were really extreme in my case and it was hard to keep motivated....
Is anyone else doing anything different this time?
My main difference is that I don't have my home fasting buddy onboard. My eldest son joined me last time, but couldn't stick to it and hasn't joined me this time.
Julieathome wrote: My main difference is that I don't have my home fasting buddy onboard. My eldest son joined me last time, but couldn't stick to it and hasn't joined me this time.

I found the forum a real godsend last time. It's lovely to see that there are loads of the familiar names from over a year ago. That is encouraging in itself. Good luck. Keep posting how you are getting on..
But you've got all of us :heart:

And it's amazing how many people I meet that are doing fasting - it's become an epidemic :lol:

Sorry to hear about the fracture at the bone graft site - just what you need - not!!
Hope it doesn't cause you too much trouble :clover:
Really pleased with the re-start. With the help of everyone on the forum I have managed to slip back into the routine easily and have lost 3.5kg / about half a stone in little over a month. Now I need to maintain - which is where I went adrift last time. Anyone tried 6:1 ?
Last time I just tried to eat less every day and put on the 4 kg over a year (winter mainly), so clearly that didn't work for me. The fitbit has also helped me realize when I am not active enough and I'm sure that's helped. Good luck all !
Congratulations mrstee. You did it again, fair play to you. There's a maintainers group who'd be able to offer tips on how they maintain. I think they pretty much all continue with some form of intermittent fasting.
Well done to you and good luck this time with maintaining :clover:
Bobshouse wrote: After years of counting points I no longer want to track, point or eat diet foods. I only weigh once each month now to avoid becoming obsessed with what the scales say. I plan to stick with this but take each fast day as it comes.

Mrs H-R wrote: I think I am going to just do measuring this time not weighing because the inches had a steady line downwards but the weight fluctuations were really extreme in my case and it was hard to keep motivated....
Is anyone else doing anything different this time?

I have had weeks with 5:2 when the weight loss is more dramatic and then weighing myself after each fast day is really motivating. Much less so when you register a gain :curse:

I've switched to a weekly weigh but love the idea of getting relaxed enough to make it monthly. Or just measuring - after all I don't actually care about my weight, it's inch loss I want.

Anyone else doing less regular weighing?
I am so in this tent. I have more to say but have to get ready for the playschool run. Have a good day all.
Just bumping this up as there is another returner. Lots of help here from a great team.
Well it's another 1lb loss for me this week :grin: Very slowly but surely :snail:

But it's an important pound - as for the first time in 16 months ( actually about 5 years ) I am now in the HEALTHY BMI bracket ( 24.98) & waist under half my height ( 49.21% ) :victory: :victory: I know its only just but I'll take it.

I'm not sure I believe in BMIs but was using it as a goal.

I'm really pleased as I need cheering up today - my chronic pain flared up badly yesterday - I'm in a lot of pain + spasm & struggling to walk :cry:

Wee bit worried about this week as last time I had bad flare up ( March this year) I put on 5lbs in 1 week.
When I'm in a lot of pain just want to eat constantly - probably for comfort, to take my mind off the pain & the strong meds.
So will keep my fingers crossed for no weight gain - only 2lbs away from target - soooooo close :clover:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13 Next
193 posts Page 5 of 13