The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

126 posts Page 3 of 9
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 Next
Re: LastChance's Progress....
10 Mar 2013, 19:03
Evidence for 5:2 and "Repair Mode"? :

I went to the Gym for the first time in over a month yesterday (I think I have only been once since starting 5:2 and that was at the start). I did 15-20 minutes on each of the Exercise bike and Stepper, then 20-25 minutes on each of the cross trainer and treadmill. Between each of the cardio workouts I did one or two upper torso weight machines for arms. The aim was to "take things easy" and I lowered the levels on several of the cardio machines. Having lost a half stone or so since the last visit, it all felt much more relaxed.

One interesting thing was at the beginning of the session. I like to take my resting pulse after 1 minute on the exercise bike with no pedalling (just sat there getting all Zen and relaxed). The reading was 78. This was the lowest I can remember seeing it! I normally think of a reading <90 as "good" and at times (say if I've dashed to the gym straight after work) it's been much higher (116-120).

So I'm wondering if this is the benefit of "repair mode" (or maybe regular daily walking)?
10 Mar 2013, 19:19
Daily walking is my bet!
10 Mar 2013, 21:57
carorees wrote: Daily walking is my bet!

Could be :-)

But... last year between mid-July and November I used annual leave to finish early on Monday, Wednesday and Friday's and got to the Gym at 12:30. I was doing longer sessions then (1000 - 1200 Cals+ cardio). Prior to this, I had also been doing lunchtime walks. The best 'resting pulse' I had towards the end was in the upper 80s!
16 Mar 2013, 12:47
It's been one of those weeks :-( At the weekly weigh-in yesterday I was down by a whole 0.2 lbs!!!. Well I guess it's in the right direction. :-)

The last two weeks has been a bit of a plateau. These have both been 5:2, the two weeks prior to this I felt I made real progress on 4:3. So after discussion with the powers that be, we are both going to do 4:3 for the next couple of weeks. So we'll add a fast day on Sunday's with a breakfast of lean bacon, sausage and portabello mushroom on a bed of spinach and diner of chicken caesar salad. We spice up the breckie from that in the book with the addition of a poached egg. Including a couple of other cheats, it's a bit more than 600 cals overall, but seems to work. However, the 'relative loss' having 700-800 cals on a Sunday is probably a greater calorie saving compared to a "normal" Sunday, than a strict 600 cals on a week day (well that sounds both plausible and a bit of an excuse :-)).
17 Mar 2013, 11:43
Doing a 4:3 this week (Saturday to Friday) and today is the first fast day. But I'm also going to have a go at the TPW-diet. The "TPW-diet" involves doing 5:2 in combination with large amounts of moderate to high cardio exercise. I can't go and walk the Trans Penine Way, but did make it to the Gym this morning.

I used four cardio machines and selected the 'calorie' target programs and used each in turn at generally increasing levels. I start out by keeping my pulse below 130 on the exercise bike), then all goes to pot on the stepper and treadmill and it's around 150-160, I ease off in the middle of these two on the cross trainer (142). Because of my age when the pulse is greater than 148 the machines are constantly displaying "Attention - Pulse to high" messages every minute or so. The workaround for this is to close my eyes, ignore them and listen to the gyms soothing background music :-) (but if I hear Nicki Minaj 'Pound the Alarm' one more time I think I'll go nutz!)

Exercise Bike: 1 minute, no pedalling, pulse at the end = 78

Exercise Bike: 180 calories
Weights for arms and upper torso (1): 2 x 12 reps

Stepper: 120 calories
Weights for arms and upper torso (2): 2 x 12 reps
Weights for arms and upper torso (3): 2 x 12 reps

Cross Trainer: 200 calories
Weights for arms and upper torso (4): 2 x 12 reps

Treadmill (walking at an incline): 300 calories

Total calories burnt (cardio component): 800 calories.
Time to complete: 1 hour 45 minutes.

Today it's a 700 cals fast (hey it's Sunday!). So I'm aiming to have an approximately (2500 + 800) - 700 = 2600 calorie deficit. Tomorrow is a feed day, and the next fast day is Tuesday, which I've booked off as AL, and so it will be back to the gym then!

Observations: I mentioned previously that compared to trips to the gym last year (July to Nov), my pulse at the end of the 1 min no pedalling exercise bike was 78. It was the same again today!

5:2/4:3 and 'healing mode': I realise this is all anecdotal, but there were a number of other positive signs today. The last time I was regularly attending the gym was in 2008/2009 because shortly after returning from a walking holiday in the lake district, I did my back in lifting a "hippo bag" of garden rubbish and waste into the "green skip" down the recycling centre. It took months to get over this. Then, to cap it all off, I stumbled and fell down a flight of stairs at work, I didn't fall over completely, but landed very awkwardly on my left ankle, which took my whole weight and gave out. During this period all walking was out and I struggled to get from the car park at work into the office. I gradually added in short walks (initially to the canteen and back), then slowly increased over time.

So I was totally over the moon today, to find that I was walking comfortably at speeds higher than those I regularly used back in 2008/2009 and that there were no twinges, stiffness or tenderness and pain in either my back or ankle (and which I was still getting last year and earlier this year before starting 5:2).
19 Mar 2013, 11:02
Fasting today and continuing with the TPW-Diet (oodles of cardio exercise on Fast-days).

So just got back from the gym, where they were swapping out all the fixed weight machines for new ones, so only did the cardio.

Exercise Bike: 1 minute, no pedalling, pulse at the end = 75
Exercise Bike: 180 calories
Stepper: 180 calories
Cross Trainer: 240 calories
Treadmill (walking at an incline): 410 calories

Total calories burnt: 1010 calories.
Time to complete: 2 hours (well just under).

My 'resting pulse' of 75 was lower again than last time, and the lowest I've seen since starting that check last year. I found that my pulse was lower throughout the whole session, and I could also raise the levels on all the machines. Because there were no fixed weights, I increased the calorie target (so a longer session overall). Thoroughly enjoyed it!

So it's now time for Brunch (think it's poached eggs on toast with a bowl of strawberries)...

Overall though, the plan for today, on paper is (2500 + 1010) - 600ish = 2910
19 Mar 2013, 13:24
Can I ask a silly question?

LastChance wrote: Exercise Bike: 1 minute, no pedalling, pulse at the end = 75

How do you use an exercise bike without pedalling?
19 Mar 2013, 13:38
Hi Jemima,

"How do you use an exercise bike without pedalling?"

Sit on it, hit quick start, hold the contacts on the handle bars to see the pulse, keep feet in horizontal position and not rotating, then make note of pulse reading after 1 minute. :-)
19 Mar 2013, 15:14
Ah, I see. So you're not using as a bike as such, just as a way to take your pulse?
19 Mar 2013, 15:17
Exactly. Sorry I wasn't clear. I sit on the bike and chill out and go all Zen for 1 minute, then take the "resting" pulse. After this I start the exercise bike workout for real. :-)
19 Mar 2013, 16:09
That's cool. Sorry I didn't understand. It all makes sense now. :)
22 Mar 2013, 06:43
Feeling very low today :-(

Having a difficult time. My weight-loss has stalled for nearly a month. I'm sticking to 600-700 cals on fast days, walking daily, have started going to the gym... This week has also been 4:3 (last Sunday,Tues & yesterday). Guess it's time for some stiff upper lip...

I'm using up the last of my annual leave today so I'm about to hit the gym. Going to aim for another 1000+ Cals cardio and fixed weights.
22 Mar 2013, 07:25
Don't be glum Lastchance- look what you have achieved already! If you've not seen this, or read it for a while have a look at Carorees excellent post about weight loss stalling and training viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1006 - my trainer reckons scales are the root of all evil and I have to agree! After not seeing a change on the scales for weeks, I'm going by my jeans now... So in a long winded way, I'm saying don't trust the scales and get the tape measure out, measure neck, wrist, hips, upper arm, thigh and calf- then if measurements don't move after a few weeks, make a change.
Well done on the weight you've lost already, you're doing amazeballs! (Yes, I went there and said amazeballs!) it's hard to see peeps give themselves a hard time, especially when they've already done the hard work by making the change for a better life :)
22 Mar 2013, 09:38
I'd like to join you in feeling low. I'm feeling sorry for myself at the moment because today I put on a pound and last week I put on a pound. :curse: I know weight can fluctuate and I'm not thinking about giving up, I really enjoy this WOL. Its just that I'm doing this initially to lose weight and for no reason at all I'm putting it on (except that I'm not sleeping well at the moment). I'm not working today so while I'm doing the housework I'm going to work on some positive affirmations so that I can hopefully change my mindset. At the moment it isn't the food that's the problem it is my mind. So I'm off now to make the beds and 'I am a success'. :smile:
22 Mar 2013, 10:23
Dragonbirdy, Wildmissus, Kencc,

Many thanks for your thoughts! Just got back from the gym where I vented my frustration :-). Feeling a bit more positive now.

Exercise Bike: 1 minute, no pedalling, pulse at the end = 75
Exercise Bike: 200 calories
Stepper: 200 calories
Cross Trainer: 300 calories
Treadmill (walking at an incline): 500 calories

Total Calories: 1200
Time in gym: 2 hours 15 minutes
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 Next
126 posts Page 3 of 9