The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

316 posts Page 15 of 22
Previous 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22 Next
I asked OH and he said compared with the amount of fats entering the sewers from food, the oils in skin care products is insignificant. However, the silicone in many hair products is a problem for sewage treatment works because they turn into sand and damage the pumps and machinery!
I used to live near Edinburgh & there is a dodgy water treatment plant in Bo'ness that doesn't filter properly. The beaches around the Forth bridge are foul with lots of fluffy ex-tampons & plastic sanitary towels. I'm sure people don't know not to flush these items...
Very useful information regarding disposal of oils Caroline. I put my "swishings" in kitchen towel in my kitchen bin. Also my earlier mentioned concern of eating extra calories with Coconut Oil seem to not be relevant since I lost 3 lbs in weight this last week that is a record for me :grin:

However I made a mistake when buying more Coconoil on Amazon by not making sure it was the Organic one. Not much difference in texture but doesn't taste quite so nice & it is easy to make a mistake because the pots look very similar.
Last week I discovered you can't oil pull with a cold :frown: - unless

a) you can breathe through your ears :lol:
b) you can hold your breath for 20 mins :lol: :lol: (that would make OH happy :grin: )

At last managed to pull this morning and my teeth felt great again, almost as good as a scale and polish by the hygienist. :like:
I hope you have recovered from your cold now Annie & feeling better.
I have been rather lax about oil pulling every day but still enjoy it on fast days because of the nice taste it leaves in my mouth. I am also enjoying catching up on the forum.
I have found another use for coconut oil. Its great on your face especially on your lips and up your nose, when you have a cold. My skin and lips would have been so cracked without it. That plus the fact that this time round I don't have a really red and sore upper lip and nose combo from blowing my nose so much.
Julie, I use olive oil for that as well, it's great on the skin. Mine is really really dry, especially on my face and olive oil helps a great deal with that, much better than an expensive cream I have :wink:
Well not to be left out, I went and brought a jar of this all singing, packed by virgins,, life saving, dildo polishing stuff!
Gave myself a pep talk, was not looking forward to a mouthful of oil, even if it does smell nice. Had a bit of a stand off with the jar, teaspoon in hand. Then, popped some in......mmmm...swish...ugh...swish....oh......swish...ugh,ugh........bleughh.......projectile all over the bathroom....my gut was heaving.
I know this is prob tmi but it was not good.
Undeterred I tries again the next morning...same thing.
I now have a jar of this stuff glaring at me. My stomach knots up every time I look at it. It really is coconut oil stand off in my house, I can't go near it for fear of vomiting

Thing is I want to give up, my gut is shouting bin it,bin it..my head is saying don't let it beat you, my skin is saying..ooohhh use it use it, but at the moment I've hidden it, but I know its there, waiting for me......I feel like I'm in my own coconut oil horror film!
Oh no! Can't imagine you'll be trying it again any time soon!! I was going to try the oil pulling at some point - but you've put me off! I quite like it in my coffee, and have tried it on my hair, which is quite nice. Hubby tried it on his hands where he has a bit of eczema and it really helped. So at least we have other uses for it!
oh no, don't bin it, it's not cheap is it? Took me a while to get used to oil pulling with coconut oil as I hate the mouth feel of anything greasy or oily, but after the initial slight revulsion and thought of putting something that looked like lard into my mouth, I found it very quickly melted into a sweetish liquid, quite pleasant actually.
If after a few goes you find you really can't face the oil pulling then try using it in cooking or baking. I'm finding more uses for it all the time. :smile:
I am with Minsmum on the 'pulling' thing, yuk, yuk, yuk. Anyway, I have no problems with teeth or gums and my dentist always comments on how good my dental hygiene is so I don't feel as though I'm losing out on that front. I do sometimes blend it in a coffee with cream to take off any hunger pangs if they pop up when I don't need them otherwise I would never get through the 2 BIG jars I bought. When I have used them up I doubt that I shall purchase any more! Sorry, coconut oil lovers of the world, just me, oh, and Minsmum I guess :confused:

Ballerina x :heart:
Don't bin it! Very good when shins get dry in the winter from the central heating. Only problem is the cat quite likes it and I don't like the sensation of cat tongue on my legs :bugeyes: :bugeyes:
and Ballerina. I keep forgetting to ask when did my cat move in with you? Your avatar is the spit of my cat Archie. :heart:
Her name is Jenny and she is actually my next door neighbour's cat but she moves in with us when they go on holiday, which they do often. She pops in every morning for breakfast with us and we just love her so hence, she is my avatar

Ballerina :heart:
coconut eating cat. Also likes papaya...
Previous 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22 Next
316 posts Page 15 of 22