Benefits & Side Effects

163 posts Page 8 of 11
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Re: Excess skin......
21 Jun 2013, 06:36
it WAS helpfull :) ty
21 Jun 2013, 07:59
My cousin lost her weight (over 40 kilos) very slowly and her skin shrunk as she was losing it. I think that this is one of the benefits of 5:2, the fact that you don't lose too much weight in too little time.
21 Jun 2013, 12:40
This morning I read through the posts in this thread and it got me thinking.

5:2 fasting helps the body to repair itself and I'm wondering if the loose skin of people losing weight with this way of eating is more likely firm up than the skin of people who follow a 'normal' slimming diet?
21 Jun 2013, 14:39
Coffeetime, even if not because of the repairing, it is certainly helping the skin to take the time to firm up because we are losing the weight in a speed that our body likes.
21 Jun 2013, 17:30
Yes, that makes sense TML13. I'm lucky not to have the excess skin but I feel for those that do.
24 Jun 2013, 18:01
Hmmmm.....

Think that depends on how much your losing, and how much the skin had stretched.

My "apron" is not getting any better, and some ways worse as it's starting to hang off me on the sides as well.

Lovely, beautiful and delightful. Not.

And no, I can't imagine that any amount of creams or treatment would help.
10 Jul 2013, 22:57
I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror when I was leaning over the sink to wash my face! Scary - 2 hanging bellies. It reminded me of my Mum's Labrador after she'd had her pups :(
So I definitely need to take some of the advice from this thread to keep my apron from slipping too far....
11 Jul 2013, 00:05
TML13 wrote: Here in Greece the system is unbelievably stupid. They do gastric bands, they do OVERALL plastic surgery to very fat people but they don't do tummy tacks.

IMO, it is more important to give a tummy tack to someone who did all the effort to lose weight than to reward someone who is denying to lose weight by a full body plastic surgery.

The system would be just as stupid if their priorities were reversed. It is not for the government to determine whether gastric bands or tummy tucks should be prioritized.
11 Jul 2013, 08:43
It very much depends on your age when you are young the skin is very elastic and forgives a lot. Once you are older the skin looses its elasticity and will not go back the same. therefore older people usually cover midriffs upper arms etc. So as long as you look nice in clothes does it matter if its all a bit wrinkly. Gok Wan once said any woman over 60 should wear a foundation garment. The only problem is unlike our mothers us baby boomers have never been restricted in tight garments so we feel very uncomfortable .
11 Jul 2013, 11:13
I have lost 2 stone (28lb) and my apron is shrinking with me, so far. But I can see me with a really BIG excess skin problem when I reach my target weight as I still have another 111 lb to go. Get the picture. I am finding that full body moisturising and/or coconut oiling is helping, even if its just because I am doing a mini massage. At least the skin is soft and smooth not dry and cracking and prone to infection. I have had the droopy boobs for so long that I may go for a skin reduction on them when I can afford it as if I don't lose the skin, but lose more fat on them I will be able to roll them up and stick them in my top pocket instead of using a bra.
21 Jul 2013, 16:58
Hehehe, Julie I just caught up with this! Great idea for saving bras!
21 Jul 2013, 18:31
@ Swedey, just listened to the latest episode of the Archers - loved the bagpipes!! Wanted to know if your tummy is less aprony? I have deliberately slowed down my weight loss over the last while and am coasting along on a bumpy plateau as I want to give my skin a chance to catch up with my fat loss. My belly so far is fine, but I have what looks like lumpy custard on my inner thighs and definite loose skin on my upper arms. I agree with you that no cream or lotion will work and so I have been doing callanetics to help tone up, I think it is helping but it is not a solution. I think some form of weight training might be the answer but I am gym averse and so far have not done any. Have you found your skin tone has improved at all?
21 Jul 2013, 19:17
My mum used to boast that she owed her figure to her '18 hour girder' :lol: none of us had the heart to correct her and frankly, she was not as far off the truth as it sounds. (If my memory serves me right, Playtex used to advertise an '18 hour girdle' in the 50's and ,60's) My own stomach resembles a lump of porridge so no wonder I never fancy breakfast! :shock: I'd still rather have my saggy, baggy belly than the big fat one I had this time last year, at least this one can fold up nicely into my industrial strength, elasticated drawers and no passing footpad or highway robber can relieve me of my valuables without having the nightmare scenario of having to delve deep into my money drawers first, ooh! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
24 Jul 2013, 14:02
Hello Dhana - yep, I enjoyed the highland games episode too! No waiting to see what's wrong with the girlfriend of woziziname the herd manager and Helen fancies, something not quite right there.

Anyhoo, afraid to say that my "apron" is not improving. The skin folds over by quite a lot, it looks a bit as if I'm wearing a bum bag. Very depressing, especially as I've been trying to find a swimsuit for the holidays - even with the once that are very supported (and they take ages to dry, which is a bore) it's totally obvious what's going on. Not nice at all in the heat:-(. Still, absolutely nothing I can do about it (already doing lots of stomach exercise, and I really truly believe I'm way past creams). Or at least not until I have reached the weight I want to be and maintained that for a sensible amount of time, still planning to go under the knife in time.
24 Jul 2013, 16:15
Swedey, did you have any luck with your doc about getting it done on the nhs? You sound like the ideal candidate to me, all that lost weight. I do know someone who had it done a few years ago and she was not overweight, just lots of loose skin. She made a great recovery and said it was the best thing she'd ever done. I don't see how your skin will ever "shrink" back, it's wishful thinking. I am lucky in that I don't even have any stretch marks, wish I could say the same for my face! Loving the Archers at the moment, oh and Corrie!
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
163 posts Page 8 of 11