The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 48 of 98
Previous 1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
10 Mar 2014, 10:09
Good to hear Pete, glad you're able to get back into running.

Had a lovely weekend - I knew I was 2nd in the points table, no way to catch the woman in 1st, but I paced the lady in her 60s who was in 3rd place to help her get a new PB on the Par'ks anniversary. Medals, cerfickaticks, buns, photos all round.

Got my pictue in the Sunday papers too, for a run-with-your-dog Waggy Races event later this month. That's going to be noisy!
10 Mar 2014, 10:48
Thought I'd pop in and say 'hello', as I'm a runner too, albeit a very slow one. Have been running for nearly two years, started in July 2012 at the grand old age of 44, having spent the previous 44 years thinking that I couldn't do it! Completed my first Half in April last year, a 10k in May and a 5k in October; I do like to be a bit back to front!

Have been doing very low mileage for the past six months as feeling a bit below-par (ME/CFS, but I am ignoring it and hoping that it just goes away). Monday is a fast day, and also 'beginners night' at my club; have had no problems with energy per se, but do find I get cramp in my calves quite quickly, which has only happened since I started 5:2 six weeks ago. Wondering if there might be a connection...
10 Mar 2014, 14:04
A bit more salt perhaps, in bouillon drinks or miso soup? Not everybody responds well to low salt intake, and this tends to happen on low food intake days...
10 Mar 2014, 14:27
I was back at Maidstone again last Saturday and got a very encouraging 29:49, which is faster than last week and 27 sec slower than my PB.
10 Mar 2014, 15:11
Thanks Pete! Have added a tiny amount of salt to my water today to see if that makes a difference. DH (Marathon Runner) said to use 'make your own' sports drink, as he does, but that involves squash, which I don't drink even on non-fast days!
15 Mar 2014, 04:04
I've got just two more races until the end of the season, a 10k and a half-marathon. I'm feeling sad about it. Also I've only got one more chance for a sub-1h 10k.
17 Mar 2014, 15:07
Ran Ipswich parkrun again on Saturday, felt more like a runner but still only 25:11 - and outsprinted by an old chap who turns out to be younger than me but in the same age category (beat him on percentage though).

MrsPete not so happy, was a few seconds slower than last time and suffered with stitch. Good conditions, just got to learn how to cope with the steep hill at the start and at 1.5 miles...
18 Mar 2014, 08:39
Well done Pete! I didn't run this weekend because I had a weekend's holiday in the UK. Surpisingly LOST 1.5kg in weight. Running a 10km on Sunday, weather forecast is terrible but the course is quite flat. Would really like to get to an average of 13 kph and get below 45 mins, but I know I'm not there yet. Hopefully the albeit very little weight loss will help my time!
18 Mar 2014, 08:55
Good luck, Susan!
18 Mar 2014, 09:17
I have just started c25k and would like to know what is the best recovery food apart from banana which they suggest as I cannot eat banana's since having my kids ( morning sickness thing to gross to post).
18 Mar 2014, 09:50
Some swear by skimmed milk or chocolate milk (which will be more sugary) after hard training, but I would suggest that c25k early days will not be strenuous enough to require specific recovery foods anyway. See how you go without, but have a drink after training to maintain fluid levels...

Good Luck!
18 Mar 2014, 09:59
I drink lots of water anyway. Thanks want to make sure I do this properly thanks very much. I will be back for more advice I feel as I am a complete newbie when it comes to running.
18 Mar 2014, 11:31
Hi All

I have been lurking reading this thread for ages but thought i'd join in.

I used to run, years ago, and then I got a leg injury, which got out of control and long story short I only got back into running in December this year. I've been waiting 2 years to start again!

I am about 3.5 (a lot of lbs for those that dont know stone) stone heavier than I was when I last ran. BUT my times are very similar. In the meantime i've been doing strength training/gym and core stuff, so i'm hoping i'll eventually end up being faster overall, once I lose a bit more weight!

Anyway, i've just been building up slowly, and just last week started a downloaded speed up your 5k time app. The main point is to get to running 5k in around 30 mins. At the moment i'm about 36 mins.

That is pretty slow compared to some of your times and some times of others - I know the trick is not to compare! Also, considering I couldnt walk around the corner only a few months ago, i'm happy with that!

Anyway, I just thought i'd join in. I've got my eye on the local park run also, but it's at the beach and i've got asthma, which means I can't run in the wind/cold, so it's a bit unpredictable down there. With the better weather coming in i'm hoping to get there soon! Although my 36 min time puts me near the back of the pack! Another reason to speed up....

Hope you all have a good week! :)
18 Mar 2014, 12:13
I don't really consider myself a runner even though I manage to fit in one or two runs a week. I usually do about 6 km, sometimes peaking at 8 km. Yesterday I'm proud to report I ran 5 km in 30.14 min (I was at around 35 min 6 months' back), so I'm guessing that my weight loss since the New Year has made a difference. Still a far cry from most of the times mentioned here, but as @rebelsue2 says, the trick is not to compare.
18 Mar 2014, 12:33
If you run, you're a runner :-) That looks like a good 5k time to me, says the girl who is working hard to get a sub-1h 10k...
Previous 1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 48 of 98