The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 38 of 98
Previous 1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
25 Nov 2013, 12:48
Here's a link to the Age-Graded calculator, very similar to the one that parkrun uses to establish a level playing field between boys and girls of all ages:

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

When you put our 10k times and ages into it the result is almost exactly the same - around 73%. I never performed better than 74% in my career, I believe, but I reckon you have got plenty in reserve yet!

(The calculator predicts 1:40 for a half-marathon for you!)
25 Nov 2013, 17:35
That's an interesting calculator, Pete, thanks for posting! It looks like I should be aiming for 42 minutes in a 10k (in my dreams) and 1:30 in a half marathon, but I'd be more than happy with 1:40.
26 Nov 2013, 07:15
For any facebookers...

https://www.facebook.com/events/767599523256409/

Hopefully that link works! x
26 Nov 2013, 18:28
I started a "Move a mile a day" challenge back in September, not long after I'd only just achieved running 5km. At the age of 50 I didn't want to push my luck running further than a mile every day, especially as I am relatively new to it. After a week, I got cold feet and started worrying that I wouldn't be able to still achieve the 5k after a month of daily miles so I bottled it and went back to my 3 x weekly longer distance runs. Surprisingly in just a week, my speed and stamina were REALLY improved so it did some good.

I may do this in January... I already know for a fact that I won't be able to run on a few specific days in December as I am giving blood on 21st and have family staying for the festive season - as well as twice-daily visits to my horses.....
27 Nov 2013, 06:58
I used to run 5kms 6 days a week. In fact it is better to run longer, and less often. And you should run at no more than 60 - 70% of your race pace. I run 2 x 10kms a week, plus 2 training sessions with the club of 5kms jogging, plus either exercises or laps on a slope. Seems to have worked well...although I doubted it to begin with and thought that running every day was important. The rest is equally important!
29 Nov 2013, 13:47
Would you believe I was ParkRunning in my dreams last night?

It turned into a triathlon, and I could see my Zola Budd/ Mary Decker nemesis already on the other side of the harbour that we had to swim across. I jumped in, complete with my dog, and as we were running to catch up, Batman appeared out of the sky and carried off one of the other runners.

I think this means that I need help from above.
29 Nov 2013, 15:30
Good luck to parkrunners tomorrow - I did a PB (by nearly a minute!)last week so feel likely to be slow this week.
Andrea.
30 Nov 2013, 13:18
Morning runners! Both of us were slower today by about 20 seconds, 24:51 and 29:21, but MrsPete is considerably more unhappy than self - she has run well all week and deserved better, I have been lounging around and complaining about my hips a lot which did free off after the second mile. Under 25 mins is currently my winter target, when the spring comes it will be time to get keen again...

How did the rest of you do?
30 Nov 2013, 14:06
Melanie, best dream ever!

No running for me this week. I've walked miles and miles in Tokyo instead.
30 Nov 2013, 14:21
Didn't join the park run this morning, planning another long run around town tomorrow morning instead....
30 Nov 2013, 14:50
I was slow as anticipated - is there a tendency to be slower when it is cold?
30 Nov 2013, 17:11
No parkrun for me today, my hamstring is playing up and I had to abandon another run yesterday after a mile. OH and I went for a walk instead 12km in a brisk 2.5 hours, with no pub stop as we had to pick our son up from school earlier than expected.
Maybe I should join/start a Walking thread.
30 Nov 2013, 18:52
That's a pain for you, Sian - in both senses. Hope it heals up quickly.
01 Dec 2013, 09:59
I find breathing more difficult in teh cold, so I gues that would make it slower.

My headphones, curse them, decided to give up just as the run was starting, so I lost seconds faffing with those, and when i couldnt get them to work I had no music (which I find drowns out the negatove voice in your head) nor feedback on my pace. So I was rather chuffed to come in at 28:03. Not a PB....but it's my second ever best time.
01 Dec 2013, 12:32
Just back from 14.1 km.... my furthest yet. Took it nice and steady so no PB's but I managed to run UP the Bridgnorth bypass without slowing to walk for the first time ever.... if anyone knows the area, you'll know that it's a long, sweeping incline of around 2km from bottom to top. So no records for Jane today, but I'm still mighty proud. Can't believe it is only just a little over 6 months ago that I commenced C25K and could barely sustain 60 seconds of running. This morning I went non-stop for an hour and 38 mins!!
Previous 1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 38 of 98